include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Mootools/appendix.php"); include($Configuration['EXTENSIONS_PATH']."Mootools/default.php"); Team Trec Forums - Lifting a 96 Discovery
Not signed in (Sign In)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you are new here. If you want to take part in the discussions, click one of these buttons!

Sign In  Apply for membership

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjholt92
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012

Just bought a 96 Discovery . Everything is stock. New to these and wanted to know what is the best way to get atleast a 33" tire under it. Need a good but inexpensive lift.
    •  
      CommentAuthormbush
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012

hey thanks for the interest. The best way is to do a two inch spring lift and a 2 inch body lift. that's the cheapest way out.
    • CommentAuthorjholt92
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012

With that lift, will you have to make many adjustments with steering or drive train.
    •  
      CommentAuthormbush
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

with the 2 inch spring lift you won't have to change anything. If you have the rubber flex coupling on rear differential I would recommend changing it out for the u-joint. and with the body lift you will have to have the steering shaft cut and lengthened by a weld shop. the body lift kit will come with all the stuff you need to do that. If you go with just the spring lift the biggest tire I would put on is 265/75/16 (about 32 inch).

I have a spring and body lift with 305/70/16 (about 33 inch) they fit good except for being a little wide and it effects turning radius.
    • CommentAuthorjholt92
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

Thanks for the help, hope to get started on this project soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthormbush
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

No problem. Let us know if you need anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRock
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

Good luck with it. I'm running 265/75-16's on mine without any kind of lift, just had to trim the rear wheelwell (camel cut) and remove the front bumper end caps.
    With a little trimming i bet 33's would fit with just the 2" spring lift.
    •  
      CommentAuthormbush

33's with a two inch lift will work if you don't plan on off roading. When the truck flexes it'll rub all over and cut into the tires. That happens with me even with a body lift and lift
    •  
      CommentAuthorRock

I remember you showing me the self adjusted wheel wells now. It had slipped my mind for a moment i guess. I was just stating that i haven't noticed any rubbing since i camel cut the rear, however it is with a smaller tire.
    •  
      CommentAuthormbush
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

Camel cut does help
    • CommentAuthorjholt92
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012

Thanks for all the help. I am planning to take it off-road. Just replaced the valve cover gaskets today. It will be a work in progress but hope to have something done by fall so I can take it to the woods. This is my first LR and seems like it will be a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthormbush
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012

Where are you located?
    • CommentAuthorjholt92
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012

mcminnville